Click to Download
is an independent journalist with a winning track record for fair and accurate investigative reporting. May-Chang’s bold reporting and social activism have established her as a community leader and spokesperson on LGBTQ and human rights issues. This Southern California native moved to Boise, Idaho, in 1999 where she lives with her wife of 16 years and their son.
- Don’t let Mitt Romney’s anti-gay billionaire backer whitewash his intimidation of critics – details Romney Campaign National Finance Co-Chair and Melalecua CEO, Frank VanderSloot’s anit-gay record. BoingBoing.net (May 21, 2012) [Live link]
- “THE PROPAGANDISTS: Bryan Fischer, the American Family Association, & the Demonetization of LGBT People.” – details Fisher’s life in Idaho and his rise to national stage, co-authored with Jill Kuraitis Southern Poverty Law Center’s Intelligence Report (Winter 2011) [Live link] [PDF file]
- “Idahomophobia, In a conservative media market, anti-LGBT bias thrives.” Exposing anti-LGBT media bias. Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting’s Extra! (May 2011) [Live link] [PDF file]
- “Catherine Carlson’s day in court, Advocates suggest a hospital is more appropriate than prison,” – the story of a mentally ill woman’s long struggle with transphobia in rural Idaho. Boise Weekly, News Feature (Apr. 6, 2011) [Live link] [PDF file]
- “Gays Attacked in Uganda After Mag Publishes Info; American evangelicals complicit in the anti-gay atmosphere.” – an exclusive look at an anti-gay hate crime in Uganda. Religion Dispatches, Top Story Exclusive. (Nov. 21, 2010) [Live link] [PDF file]
- “Exporting Homophobia: American far-right conservative churches establish influence on anti-gay policy in Africa,” – uncovers American influence in the Uganda Anti-Homosexuality that imposed life in prison or the death penalty for LGBT Ugandans. Boise Weekly, Main Feature. (Sept. 8, 2009) [Live link] [PDF file]
NOTABLE SOURCE INTERVIEWS
- Glenn Greenwald – As one of The Atlantic’s 25 most influential political commentators Greenwald is a former Constitutional and civil rights litigator, author and award winning journalist for Salon.com. His most recent book is With Liberty and Justice for Some, is an indictment of America’s two-tiered system of justice, which vests political and financial elites with immunity even for egregious crimes while subjecting ordinary Americans to the world’s largest and most merciless penal state.
- Jeff Sharlet – Award winning best-selling author of “The Family: The secret fundamentalism at the heart of American Power” and “C Street: The Fundamentalist Threat to American Democracy.”
- Lt. Col. Victor Fehrenbach – The highly decorated fighter pilot came out as a gay soldier on The Rachel Maddow Show in May 2009. He put a public face in the national effort to repeal “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,” a federal policy banning gays and lesbians from serving openly in the U.S. armed forces.
- Rev. Dr. C. Welton Gaddy – “State of Belief” talk radio host, president of the National Interfaith Alliance and former member of President Obama’s task-force on the reform of the Office of Faith-Based and Neighborhood Partnerships
- Debra Chasnoff – Award-winning documentarian and director/producer of the groundbreaking film “It’s Elementary,” which addressed anti-gay prejudice.
- Rocky Anderson – Former mayor of Salt Lake City (2000-2008). Anderson testified before the House Judiciary Committee on the alleged illegal conduct of the Bush Administration.
PRESS, MEDIA & PUBLIC APPEARANCES
- Interview – Jane Mayer, “Bully Pulpit” The New Yorker (June 18, 2012) [Live link (subscription)]
- Interview Feature – Glenn Greenwald, “Billionaire Romney donor uses threats to silence critics” Salon.com (Feb. 17, 2012) [Live link]
- Featured Guest – Michelangelo Signorile Show, “SPLC Report The Propagandist,”
SiriusXM 108 (Oct. 21, 2011) [Listen here]
- Featured Guest – Top Story, “SPLC Report The Propagandist,”
Fox KLIX 1340 Radio (Oct. 14, 2011) [Listen here]
- Interview – Gay Activists Applaud Caldwell Ordinance,
KTRV FOX Ch 12 (Feb. 3, 2011)
- Speaker – Matthew Shepard Observance, “The American Taliban in Idaho,”
Idaho Ann Frank Mem. (Oct. 9, 2010)
- Speaker – Boise Pride Rally Keynote “The Dallas Principles”
(June 20, 2009)
- Speaker/Organizer – Idaho Human Rights Act Amendment Rally, “Idahoans For Fairness”
(April 4, 2009)
- Interview – Hooker & Chad in the Morning, “Idahoans For Fairness Rally,”
KISS 103 FM (April 2, 2009)
- Interview – Mountain Home pilot loses his wings, “Don’t Ask Don’t Tell,”
KBCI CBS Ch 2 (May 21, 2009)
- Speaker/Organizer – Join the Impact DOMA Rally (Jan. 10, 2009)
- Interview – All Things Considered, “Sen. Larry Craig Scandal,”
National Public Radio(Aug. 30, 2007)
- The Fund For Idaho – Board President (term 2011 -2013)
- Idaho Human Rights Education Center – IT/Web Consultant 2009 – Present
- Treasure Valley Community Television – Technical Staff (2007-2009)
- Idaho Aids Foundation – Staff/Volunteer (2000-2001)
- The Community Center – Board of Directors (2000)
- Idaho Pride – Board of Directors (2000-2001)
- Santa Barbra Gay/Lesbian Speakers Bureau (1979-1984)
- Received second place at the 2010 Idaho Press Club awards for Watchdog/Investigative reporting for “Exporting Homophobia” and has been cited by New York Times bestselling author, and former religious right operative, Frank Schaeffer’s book “Sex, Mom & God: How the Bible’s Strange Take on Sex Led to Crazy Politics—and How I learned to Love Women (and Jesus) Anyway.”
- UCLA Law School think-tank, The Williams Institute cited, “Nampa ID Recreation Center Denies Same-Sex Families,” September 2009 memorandum, “Idaho-Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Law and Documentation of Discrimination.”
- For work on the 2009 Idaho Human Right Act Amendment effort, honored by colleagues with a paver set at the Idaho Anne Frank Human Rights Memorial inscribed with Rev. Martin Luther King’s quote, “The arc of the moral universe is long but bends toward justice.”
- Received the 2010 Lifetime Achievement Award for work as editor of PrideDEPOT.com and demonstrated leadership in the Idaho LGBT community.
- Received the 1988 Community Service Award by the Santa Barbara Greater Business Association for “Gay & Lesbian Perspectives,” a weekly radio news magazine that ran for five years on KCSB-FM.